Assorted Mushrooms - Actinodiscus species - Disc Anemones - Flower Corals - Mushroom Anemones
Assorted Mushrooms _ Actinodiscus species Assorted Mushrooms are a phenomenon in themselves. As the name suggests they are an assortment of mushroom corals of varying shades. The result of this assortment is simply stunning. Fulfilling all your marine aquarium display value needs at one go, Assorted Mushrooms are one of the must haves for the reef tanks. The article briefs you to the various angles of Assorted Mushrooms which are keys to their health and growth in a marine aquarium. Other names:
Assorted Mushrooms belong to the Family Actinodiscidae or Discosomatidae. The scientific name of Assorted Mushrooms is Actinodiscus species. Assorted Mushrooms are also commonly called as Assorted Mushroom Anemones and Assorted Disc Anemones. Coral Type:
Assorted Mushrooms are intermediate organisms between anemones and stony corals. But as their anatomy is quite similar to stony corals, they are commonly referred to as corals. Origin or natural range:
Assorted Mushrooms originate from the Indo-Pacific and the South Pacific regions. Size:
The Actinodiscus species have varying sizes. Color:
Assorted Mushrooms come in various color shades with green, maroon, brown and blue being the most common hues. Morphology:
The texture of Assorted Mushrooms varies. The Actinodiscus species exists in varying patterns from striped to spotted to plain. Assorted Mushrooms are physically quite sturdy.
Compatibility: The Actinodiscus species are semi-aggressive as compared to the other marine invertebrates in a reef aquarium. Habit and Habitat:
Assorted Mushrooms are found on stones and reefs. Breeding:
The Actinodiscus species reproduces asexually by the means of fission. Assorted Mushrooms breed easily and fast in a marine aquarium. Growth environment in your marine aquarium:
The following factors should be maintained in your marine aquarium to facilitate the health and the growth of the Assorted Mushrooms placed in it:
- Temperature: The water temperature of your marine aquarium containing Assorted Mushrooms should be maintained between seventy-two to seventy-eight degrees Fahrenheit.
- Specific gravity: The specific gravity of your reef tank water must lie in the range of 1.023 to 1.025.
- pH: The pH of the water in your marine aquarium should be kept in the range of 8.10 to 8.40.
- Illumination: Assorted Mushrooms require moderate lighting and therefore you can place them anywhere in your marine aquarium. In case the intensity of light is high in your reef tank then, place the Assorted Mushrooms at the base of your marine aquarium.
- Water flow in the aquarium: Assorted Mushrooms require a moderate flow of water in a marine aquarium.
- Marine aquarium habit and habitat: You can place Assorted Mushrooms anywhere in your marine aquarium. Better keep them on a rocky base. Assorted Mushrooms should be given ample space to spread themselves fully. As they are aggressive in nature, keep them away from the other corals in your marine aquarium.
- Feeding and Nutrition: Assorted Mushrooms derive their nutrition from photosynthesis which is performed by the photosynthetic algae, zooxanthellae. Assorted Mushrooms share symbiotic ecological relation with the alga that resides within the Actinodiscus species. Assorted Mushrooms can also feed upon meaty bits, brine shrimps, zooplankton and phytoplankton. Add Strontium, Iodine, Calcium and trace elements into the tank water as the dietary supplement for the Assorted Mushrooms.
Being quite sturdy, Assorted Mushrooms are easy to maintain and can survive in any type of marine aquarium. They are therefore, preferred by the hobbyists of all levels right from the beginners to the intermediates to the experts. Caution:
As Assorted Mushrooms are aggressive in nature, keep them distant from the other corals in your aquarium.