Brain Metallic Coral - Wellsophyllia species - Open Brain Coral
Brain Metallic Coral - Wellsophyllia species Brain Metallic Coral is one of the best corals for the beginners. Very hardy, easy to maintain and beautiful to look at, Brain Metallic Coral promises you a better looking aquarium than the one without a Brain Metallic Coral in it. Brain Metallic Coral is more suited for already established reef tanks rather than the ones in the process of setting up. This article gives you some important information pertaining to Brain Metallic Coral which may be useful as far as maintaining it in your marine aquarium is concerned. Taxonomy:
Brain Metallic Coral belongs to the Family Trachyphylliidae and Genus Trachyphyllia, previously called Wellsophyllia. The Genus Wellsophyllia has now been eliminated from Taxonomy. Other names:
Brain Metallic Coral is scientifically called Wellsophyllia species, now called as Trachyphyllia species. Some other specific scientific names of Brain Metallic Coral are Trachyphyllia or Wellsophyllia radiata, Trachyphyllia geoffroyi. The other common names of Brain Metallic Coral are Pacific Rose Coral, Green Metallic Brain Coral, Open Brain Coral, Folded Brain, Ultra Green Open Brain, Green brain and Green Trachyphyllia. Coral Type:
Brain Metallic Coral is a Large Polyp Stony Coral (LPS). Origin or natural range:
The Wellsophyllia species originates from the Indo-Pacific region. Color:
Brain Metallic Coral occurs in the variations of metallic green color. Morphology:
Wellsophyllia species has irregular round, folded, flat structure that at times resembles the numeric digit eight. Brain Metallic Coral has fused walls and is very hardy. The Wellsophyllia species is green in color with purple crevices which look very beautiful under actinic light. Compatibility:
Brain Metallic Coral is semi-aggressive towards the other marine aquarium invertebrates. Habit & Habitat:
It is easy to gather Brain Metallic Coral from its natural habitat as the mature individuals are not anchored and are found floating freely in shallow water or on sand beds. The Wellsophyllia species is nocturnal in habit as its tentacles expand fully at night. Growth environment in your marine aquarium:
- Temperature: Seventy-two to seventy-eight degrees Fahrenheit.
- Specific gravity: 1.023 to 1.025.
- pH: 8.10 to 8.40.
- Illumination: Brain Metallic Coral requires moderate to high intensity lighting in the marine aquarium it lives in. Actinic lighting is recommended for the Wellsophyllia species.
- Water flow in the aquarium: Brain Metallic Coral needs moderate water flow in the marine aquarium.
- Marine aquarium habit & habitat: Place Brain Metallic Coral at the bottom, on sand in your reef aquarium. Give ample space to the Wellsophyllia species to spread itself well in the marine aquarium it inhabits. Keep Brain Metallic Coral away from the other corals in your aquarium as it may sting the other corals. Once adjusted in your marine aquarium, Brain Metallic Coral may expand to a size larger than that of its skeleton.
- Feeding & Nutrition: The Wellsophyllia species derives its nutrition mainly through photosynthesis which is performed by, zooxanthellae, a photosynthetic alga living symbiotically within Brain Metallic Coral. The Wellsophyllia species is also Carnivorous in its feeding habits and may filter feed a few times per week, when open. Brain Metallic Coral eats acellular marine invertebrates, meaty bits of shrimp, silverside, squid and clam, phytoplankton and zooplankton. Add Calcium, Strontium and trace elements in the water as dietary supplements for Brain Metallic Coral.
Brain Metallic Coral requires moderate care. Caution:
Keep Brain Metallic Coral away from the other corals as it may sting the corals, if obstructed.