Scolymia Brain Coral - Scolymia species - Button Scolymia Coral - Green Scolymia Brain - Artichoke Coral - Donut Coral
Scolymia Brain Coral - Scolymia species Scolymia Brain Coral appeals well with its unique morphological features and color variations. Taxonomy:
Scolymia Brain Coral belongs to the Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Cnidaria and Genus Scolymia. Scientific names:
The scientific name of Scolymia Brain Coral is Scolymia species. Other common names:
Scolymia Brain Coral is also commonly called as Green Scolymia Coral, Button Scolymia Coral, Button Coral, Donut Coral, Artichoke Coral, Saucer Coral and Meat Coral. Coral Type:
Scolymia Brain Coral is a Hard Coral. Origin or natural range:
The Scolymia species originates from the Indo-Pacific region including Fiji, Tonga, Solomon Islands, The Great Barrier Reef and Marshall Islands. Size:
Scolymia Brain Coral is less than sixty millimeters. Color:
The Scolymia species occurs in yellow, tan, green, brown, cream and red colors. Compatibility:
Scolymia Brain Coral is semi-aggressive towards the other marine aquarium invertebrates. Habit & Habitat:
- The Scolymia species is nocturnal in habit and therefore, spreads its sweeper tentacles at night.
- Scolymia Brain Coral is found on rocky areas and coral reefs in the marine water body.
- The Scolymia species is hardy.
- Scolymia Brain Coral is convex, concave or flat in structure.
- The Scolymia species spreads its sweeper tentacles at night.
- The appearance of Scolymia Brain Coral may vary owing to its surroundings, the depth of its existence, the water current, etc.
- Growth enabling environment in your marine aquarium:
- Temperature of water: Seventy-two to seventy-eight degrees Fahrenheit.
- Specific gravity of water: 1.023 to 1.025.
- pH of water: 8.10 to 8.40.
- Water flow in the aquarium:
- Scolymia Brain Coral requires moderate water flow in the marine aquarium hosting it.
- The exposure of the Scolymia species to strong water flow may hamper the coralÍs complete spread.
- Scolymia Brain Coral requires moderate lighting in the marine aquarium it inhabits. Great if the coral can get some direct sunlight.
- Fluorescent lighting is good for the Scolymia species but, higher intensity light will be better.
- Scolymia Brain Coral may take some time in adjusting to Metal Halide lighting.
- The color of the Scolymia species may vary according to the lighting the coral gets.
- Habit & habitat:
- Place Scolymia Brain Coral at the bottom, on the sand in your reef aquarium.
- Give ample space to the Scolymia species to spread itself completely.
- Keep Scolymia Brain Coral away from the other corals as it may sting them if obstructed while expanding.
- Feeding & Nutrition:
- The Scolymia species derives its nutrition mainly through photosynthesis which is performed by zooxanthellae, a photosynthetic alga living symbiotically within the coral.
- Scolymia Brain Coral is Carnivorous in feeding habit and filter feeds a few times per week, when open.
- The Scolymia species feeds upon acellular marine invertebrates, Mysis Shrimp, frozen meaty bits of raw shrimp, fish, squid and Silver Side, zooplankton and phytoplankton.
- Add Calcium as the dietary supplement for Scolymia Brain Coral.
- Breeding: The Scolymia species does not breed in marine aquarium.
- Scolymia Brain Coral is easy to maintain.
- The Scolymia species is susceptible to infection and has a slow growth rate therefore; its propagation in a reef aquarium should not be attempted.
Scolymia Brain Coral may sting the other corals that come in its contact. Therefore, keep the Scolymia species away from the other corals.